One of the most exciting and rewarding event roles in Australia! This is a rare opportunity to use your science and guiding skills as part of a team protecting the spectacular Australian landscape and its threatened wildlife.Australian Wildlife Conservancy (AWC) – the largest private (non-profit) owner/manager of land for conservation in Australia with 28 sanctuaries.
We are seeking an exceptional, highly motivated, engaging and professional Field Ecologist and Interpretation Officer to join our events team in the delivery of outstanding visitor experiences as well as assist with ecological survey work across AWC’s network of sanctuaries.
Reporting to the Senior Development Executive, Regional Science Manager and Senior Interpretations Officer, as well as collaboratively working alongside hospitality, operations and science staff, you will ensure the science-based conservation programs delivered by AWC are effectively communicated to the public and supporters, and significantly contribute to AWC’s science program. Approximately 70% of your time will involve guiding and interpretation at AWC’s events. The remaining 30% of your time will be spent supporting AWC’s science team in the field.
To succeed in this role, you will require:
- A highly engaging, friendly, intelligent and confident personality.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills including a demonstrated ability to:
- Engage with high net worth individuals, senior corporate representatives and/or senior government officials, etc.;
- Work effectively as part of a small team or, as required, independently; and
- Support other members of the development and MWC teams in the delivery of events.
- The ability to clearly convey AWC’s mission and inspire support for that mission amongst a wide variety of stakeholders.
- A passion for conservation of Australia’s wildlife and its habitats.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent organisational skills, including a demonstrated ability to prioritise and execute a large number of tasks in an efficient manner.
- Well-developed field skills and experience in ecological survey work.
- A capacity to undertake extended fieldwork in remote locations.
- Competence in data collection, management and analysis.
- A strong work ethic including a willingness to work long hours and weekends as required.
- An ability to work under pressure and a willingness to adapt.
- Comfortable working and living in a remote location.
- Good level of fitness. The role involves physical activities including lifting, carrying, pushing and pulling loads, bending, climbing and driving a variety of vehicles. The successful applicant must be physically capable of performing these activities in order to carry out the inherent requirements of the role.
- Comfortable experiencing extreme weather conditions (hot and wet and/or dry).
- Basic single accommodation.
- Approximately 38 hour working week however, flexibility in hours of work is required to meet operational requirements of the role.
Licenses and Certificates:
- A degree in ecology (or equivalent) to Honours level is essential.
- Experience in tourism, tour-guiding or public speaking (to a wide range of people).
- A current valid Australian (or recognized international license) manual driver’s license, with experience in 4WD/off-road conditions is essential.
- Current first aid certificate (essential), senior and/or remote first aid (desirable).
- WA or nationally accredited current RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol) certificate (desirable).
- National police clearance certificate.
This is a unique opportunity to join Australia’s largest non-government conservation organisation and help shape the future of private sector conservation in Australia.
The remuneration offer includes, in addition to salary, basic single accommodation.
Please visit our website to see a detailed position description: www.australianwildlife.org/about/employment.aspx
Applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications must include:
- Resume and covering letter briefly addressing why you’re interested in and suited to this role.
- Two pages (maximum) addressing all the critical competencies, qualifications, licences & certificates.
Applications close: Monday, 25 March 2019.
- Applicants must be an Australian citizen/permanent resident or have a suitable visa in place that allows work in Australia, in order to apply for this position. Sponsorship is not available.
- If you apply for this role, AWC will include you in its ongoing updates and communications about its events, activities and fundraising initiatives. You may opt out of these communications at any time.