Expression of Interest
- Group Leader – Beacon Explorers Outdoor Education
- Based in Pakenham but camps around Victoria
- Permanent part-time position
Beaconhills College is seeking expression of interests from passionate Outdoor Educators to work in a driven, dynamic and innovative team environment. The role is 0.6 FTE ongoing role with the workload spread throughout the year with an annual salary of $35,485.67. This position could start in September / October 2018.
Want to know more about this position, then please read on.
The Beacon Explorers – Group Leader’s primary responsibility is to lead and mentor Beaconhills staff and students on Beacon Explorer programs. You will lead programs and assist teaching staff to deliver learning outcomes through a range of different environments, countries and adventure activities ranging from 3 – 12 days in length.
Central to the role is developing and fostering positive relationships with students and staff through the Beacon Explorers program. You will require excellent interpersonal skills communication skills and have a demonstrated flexible work approach and enjoy the challenge of delivering an experiential education program that is aligned with the College’s holistic education vision. You’ll be is expected to support the College’s aims, policies and procedures at all times.
You must have the ability to earn the respect and confidence of students and parents, and gain the respect, confidence and support of staff throughout the College. You must also demonstrate an ability to work autonomously and possess strong organisational and planning skills. You will be required to spend long hours outdoors and you should be familiar with outdoor safety and natural conditions.
- Support and lead on all Beacon Explorers programs, including outdoor education programs, co-curricular programs and Global Beacons programs
- Attend and participate in College camps
- Complete all post-program reporting
- Assist with managing operations and resources for cost-effective achievement of program goals
- Contribute to developing Beacon Explorers curriculum to reflect the latest developments in holistic education
- Ensure effective communication of risk exposure to the College community
- Perform administrative functions for Beacon Explorers trips as required, including managing student information, first aid preparation, booking accommodation and data entry.
- Develop and maintain excellent communications and relationships with all stakeholders
- Work collaboratively with teaching staff and members of the Beacon Explorers team
- Encourage students to abide by College policies
- Support a range of College events and activities at all campuses as required.
- Comply with all WHS requirements including taking reasonable care for personal health and safety and the health and safety of others in the workplace.
Key Selection Criteria
To be appointed into this position, a candidate would meet the following selection criteria to the satisfaction of the selection panel and the Headmaster:
- A minimum of 2 years logged experience working with school students in a journey-based outdoor educational context
- Demonstrated ability to identify and mitigate risk in outdoor, urban and group settings
- Demonstrated experience in leading 5+ day expeditions/tours
- Possess an awareness of current wellbeing, experiential and risk management philosophies and practices
- Be fully conversant with WHS codes of practice and regulations
- Written and oral proficiency in English
The incumbent must hold or be in the process of obtaining:
- A current wilderness/remote area first aid qualification, or equivalent or higher
- A Royal Life Saving Society Bronze Medallion (surf bronze preferred)
- A current full manual drivers licence (a Light Rigid licence and Driver Accreditation will be required before commencement)
- A current employment Working With Children Check
- A current Police Certificate
- Australian citizenship or permanent residency
Applications should be made via Seek (https://www.seek.com.au/job/36838892?_ga=2.235831490.276887365.1532904638-839981182.1518397255) and include the following:
- A cover letter that addresses your suitability to the listed selection criteria
- A resume detailing your qualifications and experience
- Contact details of three professional referees.
For further information about this exciting role please contact Sam Maddock on 1300 002 225.
Applications for this position close: 9am Friday, 31 August 2018.