Yachting New Zealand are looking to make a big difference in both the educational and environmental spheres and need someone to help deliver that. It’s why we’ve created a new, full-time role for someone to oversee our new schools’ programme as well as supporting the implementation of our environmental strategy.
We’re looking for an enthusiastic and organised educator with experience in planning, project implementation and curriculum development who also has a passion for the water and the environment to join our team at Yachting New Zealand. We’re the national sports organisation for sailing and boating in New Zealand, from grassroots through to high performance, so we’re equally interested in harvesting Olympic champions as environmental ones.
We recently reinvented the way we engage with schools and Kura throughout Aotearoa New Zealand by developing a schools’ programme called RŪNĀ (follow your star) that uses an integrated, experiential curriculum that helps Kiwi kids develop water skills while researching local history (Korinorino), harnessing the power of the wind (Kōkōkaha) and restoring marine ecosystems (Moanamana). It is the first of its kind in this country and the first module (Kōkōkaha) was introduced in schools throughout New Zealand in 2021 to overwhelming success. Now we want to take it to the next level.
That’s where the new role comes in. The successful applicant will support the ongoing implementation of Kōkōkaha and help coordinate the sailing experiences delivered alongside that by our RŪNA providers and Yachting New Zealand’s roaming trailers. There is still work to be done on the design and implementation of our two further modules, Korinorino and Moanamana, so experience in curriculum design, website engagement and teacher resource development will be valuable in this role.
We also need someone who can help implement our environmental strategy and support our network of clubs and class associations as they become more environmentally savvy. You don’t need to be David Attenborough, but a love of the environment is a necessity, as is good computer and communications skills.
Key accountabilities of the role include:
- Oversee and manage Yachting New Zealand’s engagement with schools
- Coordinate the implementation of Yachting New Zealand’s environmental strategic objectives
- Manage RŪNĀ service delivery and content
- Coordinate and support the network of RŪNĀ providers
- Coordinate and support delivery of RŪNĀ through Yachting New Zealand mobile trailers
- Support the development and implementation of additional RŪNĀ modules
- Lead the implementation of Yachting New Zealand’s Environmental Strategy
- Support the of the integration of schools’ engagement with Yachting New Zealand’s environmental strategy
- Conduct all activities in line with Yachting New Zealand’s Strategic Plan, Operational Plans and Budgets.
To be successful in your application, you will have:
- An understanding of, and experience working in the schooling sector, including knowledge of curriculum development strategies, and placed based curriculum implementation principles
- Commitment to the principles of Tiriti o Waitangi and to understanding Tikanga and te Reo Māori
- Understanding of Education Outside the Classroom practices including risk and safety management procedures
- Experience in environmental education and sustainability preferred, but not essential
- Strong relationship management skills
- Strong capability in the use of a range of information technologies including the use of cloud-based content management and customer relationship systems
- Innovative and creative marketer including the effective use of social media
- A passion for sailing and the ocean.
Applications close at 5 pm Friday, 28 January 2022.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.