Salary: $70,000 – $80,000 pa. + super + salary sacrifice
Fixed-term, full-time position for 12 months with extension based on performance review
This position is based at Maroon Dam, Scenic Rim with days at Thornton, Lockyer Valley
Kokoda Youth Foundation (KYF) is a registered charity with the Australian Charities and Not-for-Profit Commission (ACNC) holding Public Benevolent Institution (PBI) status. It exists to transform the lives of young Australians through the Spirit of Kokoda.
The KYF has three main areas of operation; Kokoda Challenge Events, Kokoda Challenge Youth Programs and Outdoor Education. Our Outdoor Education sector has two facilities, Camp Kokoda and Kokoda Park, and is a leading provider of journey-based camping programs that annually hosts more than 3000 school children. The diverse range of fun and challenging outdoor activities stimulate a sense of adventure outside familiar comfort zones, which empowers self-belief and discovery.
Camp Kokoda is a 660-acre property which is situated on the western shores of Maroon Dam, containing 6 self- sufficient campsites with multiple activity sites. All programs are expedition style programs.
Kokoda Park is a centre based facility in Thornton, about 20 minutes west of Laidley. It has dorm accommodation for 140 students, commercial dining hall and adventure activities. Some expedition style programs are available at Kokoda Park but most will be centre based.
1. Purpose of the Role
The Outdoor Education Operations Manager is an exciting opportunity for a ‘hands on’ highly motivated individual to join the Camp Kokoda team. We are looking for an experienced professional person to join our small team to help facilitate and manage the day to day Camp operations.
Reporting to the Director of Outdoor Education and managing a diverse team of predominantly casual instructors, applicants will need to be able to problem solve, self-motivate, be flexible, enjoy interacting with a diverse range of staff, clients, suppliers and stakeholders and have a passion for working with our younger school aged generation and further growing our Outdoor Education department.
2. About You
To be successful in this role, you must be someone who enjoys working collaboratively as a natural leader and is not afraid of hard work. Your creative solution focused approach combined with a passion for connecting with people, client delight, the outdoors and the environments you work in will serve you well, where no day is ever the same!
- You are energised by our core values and altruistic at heart
- You have a growth mindset, love the outdoors and working with youth
- You have demonstrated hands-on experience in Outdoor Education delivering programs to meet a range of agreed outcomes to a high standard
- You have a strong understanding of operational safety, risk and environmental standards required for outdoor education with previous management experience.
3. Key Duties (summarised but not limited to)
- Ensure the overall smooth running of all Kokoda Outdoor Education programs on a daily basis
- Liaising with clients, design high quality programs that best meet the needs or goals of the particular client group attending pre-program school visits when requested for new and existing business
- Oversee and participate in physical weekly activity maintenance and gear inspections as well as quarterly gear inventory and inspections
- Responsible for regular staff training to ensure all instructors facilitating at either site are confident, qualified and trained on how to carry out all activities and expeditions according to our policies and procedures
- Alongside the Director update policies and procedures/Risk management in conjunction with Industry standards
- Be on call for program coordinators needing advice or direction to ensure the safety and smooth running of programs and client and staff safety.
4. Key Challenges
- Balance a high work volume during peak programming
- Being frugal and resourceful in NFP sector while remaining competitive within industry while delivering programs at a high-quality standard
- Working with a high proportion of casual staff.
5. Essential Requirements
- Management experience in Outdoor education, managing staff, expedition style programs and design and deliver a high standard program
- Outstanding communication skills with the ability to problem solve and work under pressure during peak periods
- Field experience with varied age groups and locations
- Flexibility in work hours
- Sound understanding of Industry WH&S and risk management practices
- Recognised Outdoor Education/Recreation qualifications
- Wilderness First Aid
- Current manual drivers licence and Working With Children Check
- Understanding of windows applications including, Access, Word, Excel and drop box.
6. Desirable Criteria
- A minimum of 5+ years industry management experience
- Outstanding communication and
- Previous experience in administration, planning programs and staff/program logistics.
7. Personal Attributes
- Strong team spirit and the ability to work as a team member within the ethos and values of the Kokoda Youth Foundation
- Excellent time management, organisation and planning skills with an ability to manage complex tasks, challenging projects and competing deadlines concurrently
- Interpersonal skills and ability to relate to staff and clients from diverse backgrounds
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Problem solving skills and a proven capacity for planning, implementing and completing large projects.
Please apply with your CV and a covering letter addressing the key selection criteria to the Director of Outdoor Education via firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will continue to be received until the right applicant is successful.